As part of the 2nd edition of the Promamec summer school which focuses on a series of scientific webinars and whose theme this year is "Health and Africa in the Next normal: Practical training and support at the heart of transformation ”, the ophthalmology specialty was the subject of the 2nd webinar since the launch of this edition. The latter took place on Wednesday July 07, 2021 around the following theme: "Ophthalmology in Africa: Challenges and support tools for cataract and retinal surgery"
This webinar was moderated by eminent speakers, namely:
- Prof. Pape AMADOU NDIAYE: Head of Ophthalmology at the Dakar Hospital
- Dr. Jamal ZAIM: Ophthalmologist at the Ophthalmology Clinic of Casablanca
- Mr. Younes DLIMI FADIL: Clinical application specialist Promamec Group
- Mr. Mounir Chaouki, Ing-Dr. Mounir Chaouki, Marketing Director, Promamec Group
3 main axes were discussed during this session:
- Retinal detachment surgery in Africa with the challenges
- Training and support of ophthalmologists for the management of phaco-emulsification and its clinical complications
- Technical training of doctors and preparation of surgery for paramedics
Several ophthalmologists from the African continent took part in this high added value session, which allowed them to discuss the challenges of cataract and retinal surgery in Africa in 2021.